Monday, September 11, 2006

Sock Class

If enough people (more than one) have signed up, I'll start teaching a three week toe-up socks class tomorrow. This is what I have come to call the "Steep Learning Curve" socks, because everything you need to know to make these socks you have to learn all at once: Turkish cast-on, knitting on circular needles, and short row toes. My class handout (large PDF) is basically just a fancy version of the Perfect Sock Pattern wiki, but I added a bibliography to it this weekend. Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

***Update***
Beth M. asked where I'm teaching. At Craftsman Hill Fibers in Mt. Vernon, Tuesdays 9/12 - 9/26, 6:30 - 8:30. You can register by calling the store, 740-392-7724.

3 comments:

Beth M. said...

Where are you teaching classes? I want to sign up for the next class. I would LOVE to learn toe up on 2 circs. I was just talking to KB about this last week. Let me know how to sign up and where.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Could you teach this class a little closer to Columbus? I would love to learn this method of knitting socks too!
Carol M. (mitten maven)

JoVE said...

I am teaching my daughter to knit socks and decided to do it the 'one difficult thing at a time' way. We're doing cuff down with DK wool on 2.75 mm needles. So the first thing to learn is knitting in the round on dpns. (oh, and ribbing but she already knew how to purl so I told her that wasn't really new)

When she gets enough leg done, I'll have to decide what heel to teach her. I'm thinking a basic short row heel with the double wraps. What do you think?