Thursday, October 19, 2006

Tofu Clapotis

I am having a lot of fun with this.

I wanted something silky for a clapotis, and found this Karaoke yarn from South West Trading Company. It's 50% soy silk, so I've been telling people that I'm knitting with tofu. The colorway is "Mermaid Mix." I wanted something variegated, and was surprised that the color runs are so long. Like Noro, only no knots or weeds.

I'm following Amy's recommendation to purl the stitches that get dropped rather than using markers. (Amy has other good recommendations too, about mirrored twists and twisting on the purl side. I'm not doing any of that, but I can see her point).

Even though I know it's pronounced "clap-oh-TEE," I still have this song in my head: Miss Clapotis regrets she's unable to lunch today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You find weeds in your Noro, too? I thought that was just me.

The clapotis is looking great. I've never worked with soy yarn, though I have touched some in the shop. Seems really soft.

yarmando said...

The spinners call it "vegetable matter." I didn't know what they were talking about until I ran across a piece of a leaf. It makes sense. Sheep really can get filthy.

Occasionally, I get little spots of dermatitis on my hands where the yarn has touched, and I wonder if the sheep had wandered through some poison ivy.

FiberQat said...

Gorgeous Clapotis, hon. It will be wonderful when it's done. Good idea too on purling the drop stitch sections.

Yep, I've found vm (vegetable matter) in my Noro. I'm glad it isn't other things that sheep pick up.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful colours in the Clappy! Can't wait to see that one finished.