Tuesday, August 28, 2007

It's the pictures that got small

Pajiba ("Scathing Reviews for Bitchy People") is holding a Classic Movie Week. So far, they've covered two of my favorites: Double Indemnity and Sunset Blvd. (Do you know how I know Pajiba reviewer Dan Carlson is straight? All his headline quotes from Sunset Blvd. are from Joe, not Norma).

We caught Sunset Blvd. last week* at the CAPA Summer Movie Series at the Ohio Theater. That is the right environment for that movie: a late-20's classic movie palace, beautifully restored and preserved. You want to be with an audience that applauds when Norma says, "I am big. It's the pictures that got small." And there's nothing quite like that feeling in the grand, old theater when she looks right out at you and invokes "those wonderful people out there in the dark."

"Pajiba." What a great word. Reminds me of a word my grandma used to use: pajayvus. I'm pretty sure they mean the same thing.

* We also went to the "Vamp & Camp" Double Feature of
She Done Him Wrong and Cobra Woman; Mike, you should post a review.

2 comments:

fisherdv78 said...

I am bummed we missed Sunset Blvd!!! Jerry and I had intended watching (I've never seen before) but we took a nap and woke up too late on Sunday. Guess I will have to go rent it.

Anonymous said...

AH, the Ohio! We were last there in 2004. The then assistant organist gave us a tour of the restored building before we saw a Buster Keton silent movie. Can n ot remember if I was there when in Grad School at OSU.