My instructions assume you know how to knit with a Magic Loop, using one circular needle, 40 inches or longer.
Whirlwind Toe (Cliffs Notes Version)
Verbose Instructions below
- Turkish cast-on 3 stitches.
- Knit 1/2 round.
- Knit 1 round with both working yarn and tail.
- Increase at 6 points every round until there are 30 stitches (24 for thicker yarns).
- Increase at 6 points every third round until you reach desired circumference.
Whirlwind Toe (Verbose)
Turkish cast-on 3 stitches
- Hold your circular needle so that both ends are together, pointed to the right.
- Pull the bottom needle to the right, and hold your top needle together with the bottom cord.
- Start your yarn in back of the needles, leaving a 9" tail hanging.
- Wrap the yarn over toward you, down across the front and up the back of the needles.
- Repeat until you've made 3 loops around your needles.
- You'll use the bottom needle as your working needle to knit the stitches which are wrapped around the top (or "left") needle.
- Knit across the 3 stitches on the "top" needle. Be sure to keep your stitches snug on the "bottom" needle.
- Hold working yarn and tail together, and work 1 complete round.
(There are now 6 stitches on each side, 12 in all.)
- Drop the tail, and knit with only one strand of yarn.
- Repeat *YO, K2* for one round. This sets up 6 increase points, using yarnovers for increasing. There are 18 stitches on your needles.
- Repeat *YO, K1tbl, K2* for one round (24 stitches on your needles).
IMPORTANT: You must knit into the back of the yarnover stitches. This twists them, so they won't leave holes in your knitting.
- Repeat *YO, K1tbl, K3* for one round (30 stitches on your needles).
- Knit two rounds plain, making sure to knit into the back of any yarnover stitches.
- On the next round, repeat *YO, K5* (36 stitches)
- Knit two rounds plain, making sure to knit into the back of your yarnovers.
- Repeat *YO, K6* around (42 stitches)
- Knit two rounds plain. (You know how to handle yarnovers by now, right?)