Sunday, April 30, 2006

Lead me not into YouTube

One of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life was my friend Russell and his roommate Jim lip-syncing to Whitney and Cissy Houston's duet "I Know Him So Well." There were moments of genius comedy: Jim holding his elbows tight to his sides, clutching the wooden-spoon-microphone, lips quivering artistically; Rus gliding in from stage right, snapping his head forward to fix us with a gaze so serious and earnest it almost read as hostile.

I was reminded of this when I read Sam Anderson's "The Neglected Art of Lip-Syncing" in Slate and followed the links to the work of the Two Chinese Boys. Their performance of "I Want It that Way" is magnificently funny.

I need to stay away from YouTube. If I'm not careful, I will spend all week watching amateur video.


Update:
Remember the Jello Obelisk of Sethi's Jubilee from this year's 10 Commandments Party? I've uploaded to YouTube the messy video of it being set into place.

No comments: