The Genius Footprint begins with an anatomically correct toe.
[Gauge = 8.5 stitches per inch]
- Hold your circular needle so that both ends are together, pointed to the right.
- Pull the bottom needle to the right, so your top needle is held together with the bottom cord.
- Start your yarn in back of the needles, leaving a 12" tail hanging.
- Wrap the yarn over toward you, down across the front and up the back of the needles.
- Wrap until you have 7 loops.
- Knit across the stitches on the "top" needle. Be sure to keep your stitches snug on the "bottom" needle.
- Hold working yarn and tail together, and work 1 round. (This doubles the number of loops on each side -- 14 per side, 28 total.)
- Drop the tail, and knit one round, working one stitch in each loop.
Begin to think of the first 14 stitches as the sole (bottom) of the foot, and the other 14 stitches as the instep (top).
- Knit 2, YO, knit until 2 stitches remain of sole stitches, YO, knit 2. Repeat for the instep.
- Knit round, working the first yarnover on each side through the back loop, and the second yarnover as k-twist*.
Repeat these two rounds until you have 48 stitches, 24 stitches per side (or until your sock is about an inch long). Then continue knitting but stop increasing on one of the ends. For example:
- Knit until 2 stitches remain of sole stitches, YO, knit 2. On instep side, knit 2, YO, knit to end of round.
- Knit round, working the yarnover at the end of the sole stitches as k-twist, and the yarnover at the beginning of the instep stitches through the back loop.
- Knit 2, YO, knit to end of sole stitches. On instep, knit until 2 stitches remain, YO, knit 2.
- Knit round, working the yarnover at the beginning of the round through the back loop, and the yarnover at the end of the round as k-twist.
Repeat until your sock is desired circumference. For me, that's 68 stitches. For you, it's gauge x circumference around ball of foot x negative ease. (8.5 spi x 9 inch ball x 88% negative ease = 67.32, or 68 stitches).
* k-twist: Slip next stitch knitwise onto the right needle, changing its mount. Slip the stitch back to the left needle purlwise; the front leg of the stitch now lies in back of the needle while the back leg of the stitch comes down the front of the needle. Knit the back leg like it's a normal stitch, which further twists it to the right.