Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Larger bottle cozy

So here's a cozy I whipped up for a liter-size bottle.



And as promised, a pattern (of sorts)

I used Sugar 'n' Cream cotton, knitting in the round on two 24 inch size US5 (3.75 mm) needles. But the pattern is adaptable to your preferred yarn and needles.
  • Cast on 8 stitches. Join and knit one round.
  • (YO, K1) around
  • Knit
  • (YO, K2) around
  • Knit
  • (YO, K3) around
  • Knit
Keep increasing (8 yarnovers every other row) until your disk is the size of the bottom of your preferred bottle. In the picture above, I increased until I reached 48 stitches around.

Knit plain for 8 rounds or so (about an inch, or as long as looks good to you).

The "body" of the bottle cozy can be any stitch pattern you want. I've been experimenting with lacy stitches. Above, I used:
  1. (YO, K2tog) around
  2. Knit
  3. (K2tog, YO) around
  4. Knit
Nice effect, but not snug enough for my bottle. Next time, I'll decrease by 8 stitches or so before beginning the lace. Because the lace was too big, I went back to knitting plain rounds and added some ribbing. The moral? Experiment.

End with an inch or so of ribbing and bind off loosely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting your pattern. I was looking for a cover for my kleen kanteen. Too much sweat!!
The BSJs look fantastic!