Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Headlamp Hat

Selfie with knitted toque with LED lamp in brim
For my 23.25-inch head, I should have a hat that's about 21-inches in
 circumference. Blocked, this hat measures 20-inches, but fits nicely.
HEAD LAMP HAT
Toque with integrated USB Rechargeable LED.

Size Shown: Men's Large (23-inch head circumference)
Yarn Weight: DK
Yarn Used: Into the Whirled Dresden DK, "Captain Tightpants"
Needles: US 4 (one size smaller for brim)
Gauge: 24 stitches to 4-inches/10cm

Knit a gauge swatch using your preferred yarn/needles.  Measure the circumference of your head at the top of your ears. Subtract about 10% for negative ease, multiply that by your gauge, and cast-on. (I cast on 115 sts.)

Knit in the round for 2 inches. Increase 5 stitches (about 5%) in next round, then knit 2 rounds. Purl a round to create turning edge.

Knit 3/4 inch. Bind off 1.25-inches of stitches (see TechKnitter's buttonhole instructions for a neater edge). Work flat for 1. inch, then cast-on across the gap the number of stitches you had previously bound off. Place marker, and resume working in the round until you have the same number of rounds above and below the purl ridge. This creates a hole in the brim sized for the light I purchased; you may have a different sized light which may require a larger or smaller hole. I recommend making the hole so the rubber gasket fits snuggly—my rubber gasket is sized for a 1.5 x 1.25 inch hole, so I subtracted 1/4 inch from the length and width.

Fold the brim along the purl turning ridge, with the cast-on edge behind your live stitches. Close the hem by working cast-on edge together with your live stitches. (Again, see TechKnitter's instructions.) Leave about 1 inch of the "hem" unclosed, so you have a gap to insert and remove rechargeable lamp.

Knit plain to desired depth. I like a bit of height to my hats, so I worked about 10.5-inches plain before starting the crown. 

Decrease 8 stitches per round on alternate rounds for crown. (I worked *SSK, k13* around, then a plain round, *SSK, k12*,  knit plain, etc.) For more info on crown shaping, see Woolly Wormhead's Crown Shaping Master Class.

No comments: