Sunday, February 04, 2007

My commute

Twenty miles, 30-40 minutes each way.

My day really does feel an hour shorter, but I'm generally enjoying the commute. You'll probably be seeing more audiobooks show up over on the right.

Nancy Pearl came up with the Rule of 50: "...time is short and the world of books is immense. If you're fifty years old or younger, give every book about fifty pages before you decide to commit yourself to reading it, or give it up." I've been giving audiobooks the length of one disc to convince me whether I want to spend any more time in this world or with these people. The Fire-Eaters? No. Tenth Power, with people singing magic? I thought so, but 3.5 discs in, I realized I didn't care at all what happened. Just minutes after I ejected it and popped in Acceleration, I knew I made the right choice: smart narrator with a fresh perspective worth listening to (he calls the books in the subway lost-and-found "the library of forgotten books") discovers the diary of a serial killer.

On the knitting front, I got inspired to take this sock...

...and fix it.

I re-knit the whole heel and cuff. Seemed easier than darning and grafting. But ultimately a pointless exercise: the other sock is about to wear through as well, and even this new heel won't hold up. Lesson learned: Jaeger Matchmaker merino isn't good for socks.

Meanwhile, sweater has new bottom, and I'm ready to start sleeves.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're good man! Somday I'll finish my sock and I'll have one warm foot!

Pooch said...

OK, so over 50--how many pages?? I'm guessing fewer pages since theoretically I have less time left. Yes?

Just printed your sock recipe because I'm trying something new with socks and needed a good, basic pattern. Thanks for sharing it!

:)

rcclive said...

Isn't it great to be driving upstream, so to speak? Makes the commute much simpler to be going opposite the prevailing traffic -

yarmando said...

Pooch, when you're over-50, Nancy Pearl says to subtract your age from 100. That's how many pages you should give a book before giving up on it.

Cat Herself said...

I totally agree with you about not wasting time on a book I don't like. The problem comes when you like the story but don't like the reader. I'm in that bind now - and I don't feel like I have time (or want to take the time) to read all the Newbery honor books. I'm listening to "Penny from Heaven" and love the story but the reader keeps putting the wrong emphasis (IMHO) on the words. For one thing, she pronounces Pop-pop wrong. I had a Pop-pop, and Simon has one now - I know these things.

BTW - nice sock and sweater. Also - nice formula for giving books a chance - thanks for sharing the Pearl wisdom.

Should I apply for Kristin's old job?