Sunday, October 08, 2006

Another crown

Still trying to make a King of the Wild Things crown that will actually fit a kid. I like the idea of the pattern, but I just can't get the gauge right -- my crowns inevitably are too long and too narrow. The latest, the XL size knit in Lite-Lopi, was 22 inches before felting:


And 14.5 inches after (which is about what the pattern predicted).


Finished circumference, however, should be 24 inches, but it's 19. It will fit the intended recipient, but it might be a bit snug. In the future, I think I need to go up at least two sizes to get the circumference, but can knit the number of rows specified for my intended size.

I agree with Yarn Harlot: "I will never, ever believe that gauge is my friend." Particularly when felting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's so cute! I'd love to try that for my niece sometime. Who will be the lucky recipient?

Cat Herself said...

Excellent crown! I'd like the pattern for this, please!

thanks for the magic loop lesson yesterday. Soon we will have our Library KNitting gettogether and you can teach me to cast on! Oh, I should finish at least one of the 2 pairs of socks I'm currently working on first, I suppose.